Banana cake topped with smooth fudge
This is a delicious moist banana cake spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg topped with a rich velvety smooth chocolate layer. If you want to go light leave off the chocolate layer and just sprinkle some cinnamon sugar over the cooled cake.
Before I tell you more about the recipe I would like to tell you a bit about my lovely friend who inspired it. She is much like this cake, moist, sweet, and warm like a familiar hug with a pinch of spice an all around winner.
Like banana cake she has been a source of comfort and coziness, like banana and chocolate one conversation (and in the case of cake one bite) and your feeling better and warmer ready to crawl out of bed and into the world.
Anjali Saroea my tribute to you with all you favorites, banana, cream, butter of course and a big wallop of chocolate.
2 ¼ cups flour shifted
1 ½ baking powder
1 ½ baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 pinches of grated nutmeg or zested rind of 1 orange.
160gms butter at room temperature (this just means leave it out for a few hours till it is soft)
1 ½ cups castor sugar or any other sugar you have handy
3 teaspoons vanilla essence or banana essence
¾ to 1 cup mashed over ripe bananas (about 3 big ones)
¼ cup cream
Confectioners sugar (powder sugar) to sprinkle if you don't want to use chocolate
Chocolate fudge icing
1 cup icing
100 gms dark chocolate
2 ½ tablespoons cream
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter
Lets get baking
1. The oven needs to be heated to 150 degrees C. Now grease you tin and dust it with flour. I like to use a tube but you can use a Bundt pan or a square even.
2. Mix the cream or yogurt into together in a bowl with a spoon.
3. Spoon flour, baking powder and baking soda in bowl and mix to combine ingredients. Then sift this twice to have a lighter cake. I do this on a newspaper. Add the cinnamon and nutmeg to the sifted ingredients.
4. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric hand mixer; add the eggs and vanilla beat till forms a thick creamy pale yellow consistency. This is to add air into the cake helps the cake retain moisture and rise.
5.Using your spatula fold in the some of the flour alternating with the banana cream mixture.
6. Pour into your prepared pan and pop it in your pre-heated oven. Leave to bake on the middle rake for 40minuties. Check to see if a toothpick come out clean if not put it in for another 15 minuties.
7. Let the cake cool for 30 minutes; run a knife around the edge turn it over onto a grill to cool completely.
Once cool time to lather on the chocolate icing or sprinkle with icing sugar.
Note -Remember each oven is different and you know how best your oven bakes
Chocolate fudge icing
This is so easy it does not even feel like a recipe.
1. Put the chocolate and butter into microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Mix with a steel spoon. If the chocolate has not completely melted put it in for another 30 seconds.
2. Then mix in the icing sugar and salt slowly. Add in the cream till the mixture is of a spreadable consistency.
3. Pour over cake and spread with icing knife or if you don't have one a butter knife will work just fine.
If you have the patience wait till the icing sets if you are severely lacking in patience like me just cut a thick slice and tuck into warm memories and smooth deliciousness.